People in their 90s are getting smarter
“The outcome underlines that ageing is malleable,” Olde Rikkert says, adding that cognitive function can actually be a lot better than people would assume until a very high age.
“It’s motivating that people, their lifestyles, and their environments can contribute a lot to the way they age,” he says, though he cautions that not everything is in our own hands and help is still needed for those with dementia or those who do experience cognitive decline as they age.
Improved education played a part in the changes, says Christensen. But the study does not disentangle the individual effects of the numerous things that could be responsible for the improvements. “The 1915 cohort had a number of factors on their side – they experienced better living and working conditions, they had radio, TV and newspapers earlier in their lives than those born 10 years before,” he says.
Tellingly, there was no difference in the physical test results between the two groups. The authors say this “suggests changes in the intellectual environment rather than in the physical environment are the basis for the improvement”.
No comments yet.
- Major drug company to market implantable microchips that deliver drugs inside the body
- Play the online game that claims to help you shed 0.7kg in ONE WEEK
- Brain scans reveal anxious parents are more likely to have nervous and depressed children
- Study finds dramatic differences in the way we age
- Elon Musk spends $10 million on new projects to control AI
- GoPro reveals new $400 mini camera it claims can record HD video anywhere – and even capture audio underwater
- CityLab shows how electric cars can be WORSE for the environment than gas-guzzling vehicles
- Tetris blocks traumatic flashbacks even after the memory is fixed
- Modified mosquitoes begin blitz on dengue in Brazilian city
- LG’s New Displays Will Make Laptops Slimmer And Lighter
- Samsung cranks SSDs to 2TB with the 850 Pro and EVO
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- Health – Brain
- IT Hardware