People in their 90s are getting smarter
“The outcome underlines that ageing is malleable,” Olde Rikkert says, adding that cognitive function can actually be a lot better than people would assume until a very high age.
“It’s motivating that people, their lifestyles, and their environments can contribute a lot to the way they age,” he says, though he cautions that not everything is in our own hands and help is still needed for those with dementia or those who do experience cognitive decline as they age.
Improved education played a part in the changes, says Christensen. But the study does not disentangle the individual effects of the numerous things that could be responsible for the improvements. “The 1915 cohort had a number of factors on their side – they experienced better living and working conditions, they had radio, TV and newspapers earlier in their lives than those born 10 years before,” he says.
Tellingly, there was no difference in the physical test results between the two groups. The authors say this “suggests changes in the intellectual environment rather than in the physical environment are the basis for the improvement”.
No comments yet.
- Is being a perfectionist RUINING your career? Striving for excellence leads to burnout, study warns
- Angry Birds 2 – Official Gameplay Trailer
- Non-surgical electrical/drug stimulation helps patients with paralysis to voluntarily move their legs
- 67P is ‘rich’ in organic material: Philae data confirms comets can help seed life, and hints at the probe’s final resting place
- Canon Has A New Camera That Sees Better In The Dark Than You Do
- Obama Wants To See The US Build An Exascale Supercomputer
- Google Research Blog Post Shows How WordLens Live Translation Instantly Replaces Text In Live Video
- Scientists successfully edit human immune-system T cells
- The Death Star weapon is here! Japan fires world’s most powerful laser to produce energy equal to 1,000 times the planet’s power consumption
- What makes us cheat? HORMONES: People with high levels of certain chemicals ‘are more likely to behave badly’
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- Health – Brain
- IT Hardware