New type of stem cell helps your fingers regenerate
EVERY one of us has a superpower. Shave off the very tip of your finger or toe and it should grow back. Now we know how.
Like amphibians, humans can regenerate skin and bone, but unfortunately our powers of regeneration are limited to the ends of our fingers. It’s a trick we share with mice, so to find out how we do it, Mayumi Ito at New York University and her colleagues took a closer look at mouse digits.
Using a cell-labelling technique, the team identified a previously unknown population of stem cells at the base of each toenail. Tests showed that these “nail stem cells” help with ordinary nail growth, but can also rebuild the entire digit tip after amputation.
We already know that the skin plays a pivotal role in triggering amphibian limb regrowth. The new results suggest the same is true of our ability to regrow fingertips (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature12214).
“We at least partly retain the mechanisms that operate limb regeneration in amphibians,” says Ito. “Knowing more about how nail epidermal cells induce digit-tip regeneration may provide direct clues to extend our ability for regeneration.”
No comments yet.
- New supercapacitor design offers record high-energy storage
- Kids who are popular at school become losers as adults
- Microsoft’s Chinese ‘girlfriend app’ has become huge hit: Xiaoice listens, asks how you’re feeling and even makes jokes
- Ebola vaccine success: Race is now on to protect those at risk
- Is being a perfectionist RUINING your career? Striving for excellence leads to burnout, study warns
- Angry Birds 2 – Official Gameplay Trailer
- Non-surgical electrical/drug stimulation helps patients with paralysis to voluntarily move their legs
- 67P is ‘rich’ in organic material: Philae data confirms comets can help seed life, and hints at the probe’s final resting place
- Canon Has A New Camera That Sees Better In The Dark Than You Do
- Obama Wants To See The US Build An Exascale Supercomputer
- Google Research Blog Post Shows How WordLens Live Translation Instantly Replaces Text In Live Video
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- Health – Brain
- IT Hardware