Nanoparticles may offer cure for MS
The new nanotechnology can also, they say, be applied to a variety of immune-mediated diseases including Type 1 diabetes, along with food and airway allergies.
And it doesn’t suppress the entire immune system, as do current therapies, which make patients more susceptible to everyday infections and cancer. Rather, when the nanoparticles are attached to myelin antigens and injected into the mice, the immune system is reset to normal.
“This is a highly significant breakthrough in translational immunotherapy,” says Stephen Miller of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “The beauty of this new technology is it can be used in many immune-related diseases. We simply change the antigen that’s delivered.”
The nanoparticle is made from an easily-produced and already FDA-approved substance – a polymer called Poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (PLG), which consists of lactic acid and glycolic acid, both natural metabolites in the human body. It’s most commonly used for biodegradable sutures.
“We administered these particles to animals who have a disease very similar to relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis and stopped it in its tracks,” says Miller. “We prevented any future relapses for up to 100 days, which is the equivalent of several years in the life of an MS patient.”
Shea and Miller are now testing the nanoparticles to treat Type one diabetes and airway diseases such as asthma.
No comments yet.
- Facebook unveils new Silicon Valley office in Menlo Park
- Delphi completes first coast-to-coast automated drive
- ‘Google Maps’ for the body
- Researchers build brain-machine interface to control prosthetic hand
- A ‘Wikipedia’ for neurons
- AI interns: Software already taking jobs from humans
- Is this ET? Mystery of strange radio bursts from space
- IBM Creates The Super Digital Crystal Ball
- Yale University study shows important smartphone metals running out
- Mobile phone battery life could one day be 10 YEARS thanks to super-efficient chip
- Asian solar spending helps drive renewable energy boom
- We must pull together to grasp consciousness
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- Health – Brain
- IT Hardware