People in their 90s are getting smarter
“The outcome underlines that ageing is malleable,” Olde Rikkert says, adding that cognitive function can actually be a lot better than people would assume until a very high age.
“It’s motivating that people, their lifestyles, and their environments can contribute a lot to the way they age,” he says, though he cautions that not everything is in our own hands and help is still needed for those with dementia or those who do experience cognitive decline as they age.
Improved education played a part in the changes, says Christensen. But the study does not disentangle the individual effects of the numerous things that could be responsible for the improvements. “The 1915 cohort had a number of factors on their side – they experienced better living and working conditions, they had radio, TV and newspapers earlier in their lives than those born 10 years before,” he says.
Tellingly, there was no difference in the physical test results between the two groups. The authors say this “suggests changes in the intellectual environment rather than in the physical environment are the basis for the improvement”.
No comments yet.
- First HTC Nexus 9 hands-on video hits the web
- Paralysed fireman Darek Fidyka recovers thanks to UK research
- What Role Does Technology Play in Record Levels of Income Inequality?
- Lockheed Martin fusion reactor breakthrough announced
- Diet fast or diet slow, the same weight piles back on
- ‘Holy grail’ of lighting invented using LEDs that consume 85% less energy
- Not so dark after all! Dark matter particles may FINALLY have been found – and they are coming from the core of the SUN
- Could coconuts be the key to cleaner CARS? Fruit could store hydrogen to power next-generation vehicles
- Lighting cities with cheap, glaring LEDs is a dim move
- Stem cells improve vision enough for horse riding
- First patient treated for Google Glass addiction
- Zero-emission fusion reactor promises ‘cheaper than coal’ energy
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- IT Hardware