Samsung’s Flexible Display Hits a Technical Snag | Korea IT Times
SEOUL, KOREA – Samsung Display, which is pushing for the commercialization of its flexible display within this year, has caught on a technical snag – i.e. encapsulation technology.
Samsung Display has improved its plastic substrate technology, which had been regarded as the biggest technological obstacle, to a near-commercialization degree. Yet, it is having difficulty upgrading its encapsulation technology, the patent on which Samsung Display purchased from US company Vitex System at the end of 2011.
It was said that Samsung Display was turning its eyes to other technologies since the adoption of Vitex System’s encapsulation technology excessively lengthens the manufacturing time.
Since OLEDs are vulnerable to moisture and oxygen, encapsulation processes are crucial to the commercialization of flexible displays.
Samsung Display is reportedly reviewing various encapsulation technologies than can replace the encapsulation technology developed by Vitex System.
Samsung Display said, “As we have accumulated expertise in this field, progress is being made in substrates as well as encapsulation technology. We have developed a new technology than can shorten the encapsulation process to less than 2 minutes by using the Vitex System-developed encapsulation technology.”
No comments yet.
- CPU startup claims to achieve 3x IPC gains with VISC architecture
- Man Implants NFC Chip Into His Hand
- Interstellar’s black hole special effects may result in important scientific discovery
- Google teams up with Oxford academics to bring human-like robots closer to reality
- This is what brain cell conversations look like
- Magic Leap raises $542m from Google and others for its ‘cinematic reality’ system
- Etchings on seven-faced Shigir Idol could ‘could hold a message to modern man’
- First HTC Nexus 9 hands-on video hits the web
- Paralysed fireman Darek Fidyka recovers thanks to UK research
- What Role Does Technology Play in Record Levels of Income Inequality?
- Lockheed Martin fusion reactor breakthrough announced
- Diet fast or diet slow, the same weight piles back on
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- IT Hardware