Giant towers, tall as football fields, have become a prerequisite to maximizing wind-turbine power production.
But Altaeros Energies, a Massachusetts company with its roots at MIT, is putting down the pipe and sending turbines aloft using a helium-filled, inflatable shell that looks like a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade float. And it also looks like it might work.
I recently saw a story on the web touting a vaccine that can kill cancer. ImMucin which is produced by Vaxil BioTherapeutics works by priming host immune cells to recognize the MUC1 receptor present on cancer cells in 90% of cancer types. I found the following video to be very informative and to present a clear explanation of how ImMucin works.
A nanoparticle drug delivery vehicle for small interfering RNA molecules (siRNA), that is already being tested in human clinical trials, now shows promise for the treatment of head and neck cancer. Dong Shin, of Emory University, and Mark E. Davis, of the Nanosystems Biology Cancer Center at the California Institute of Technology, led this study.
The CMB is relic radiation that fills the entire Universe and is regarded as the most conclusive evidence for the Big Bang. Although this microwave background is mostly smooth, the Cobe satellite in 1992 discovered small fluctuations that were believed to be the seeds from which the galaxy clusters we see in today’s Universe grew.
Dr Adrienne Erickcek, from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and colleagues believe these fluctuations contain hints that our Universe “bubbled off” from a previous one. Their data came from Nasa’s Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), which has been studying the CMB since its launch in 2001.
Their model suggests that new universes could be created spontaneously from apparently empty space. From inside the parent universe, the event would be surprisingly unspectacular.
Describing the team’s work, California Institute of Technology professor Sean Carroll explained that “a universe could form inside this room and we’d never know”.
- Houseplants ‘make workers 40% more productive and creative’
- Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Speaker System
- Brain stimulation gives you will to persevere
- Sorry chaps, your brains aren’t made for multi-tasking: But women are hard-wired to juggle jobs
- New app Be-Bound lets users access the internet anywhere in the world for FREE
- RF Safe-Stop disables a vehicle’s engine remotely using radio beams
- Eurocom Panther 5D – Notebook Review
- A Prosthetic Hand That Sends Feelings to Its Wearer
- Hubble traces subtle signals of water on hazy worlds
- Spike Away Vest Keeps You Safe From Cramped Commutes
- E Ink Introduces Fina E-Reader
- Motorola to start 3D-printing ‘modular’ mobiles that customers can put together like Lego
- Blogs RO
- Famous Quotes
- Food recipises
- IT Hardware